CASE STUDY – CONVERSION COATING
The Italian factory of a global home appliance company producing refrigerators was looking for a supplier to help:
- Reduce the costs maintenance
- Eliminate the sludge coming from their traditional Zinc Phosphate process
- Reduce the working temperature for cost saving
- Reduce the general risk classes of the chemicals used in the pretreatment area
Quaker introduced PRIMETREAT™ SZR 101/SU which uses nanotechnology instead of the traditional zinc phosphate technology. As a first step, Quaker prepared standard panels to evaluate the corrosion resistance in a Salt Spray Chamber (SSC). Customer specification was 400 hr (SSC).
In the meantime the Health & Safety profile of the product was approved by the customer’s Safety Department. Following successful lab tests, the second step was to perform a preliminary industrial trial on 200 refrigerators, using a rinse bath with demi water in the conversion stage. Three months later, the line was started with the new technology.
- With the upgrade to PRIMETREAT™ SZR 101/SU nanotechnology there was improvement of safety for the operators since PRIMETREAT™ SZR 101/SU has a lower risk classification compared to the previous technology used
- Increase in corrosion protection (salt spray test) performance
- Reduced work temperature and maintenance for the complete line
- Elimination of sludge in the conversion stage